KCM
Wilt u reageren op dit bericht? Maak met een paar klikken een account aan of log in om door te gaan.

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2

+2
bugsnbusses
T2 M&M's
6 plaatsers

Ga naar beneden

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 Empty Twingo ragtop in a VW T2

Bericht  T2 M&M's ma 11 jul 2011 - 17:05

When I heard that I could put a twingo ragtop into my T2 i just could not resist it. I had to have one. Here is a short story how this weekend was spent installing it into my bus.

I did make photos of everything I did but seem to have lost the first couple in transit somewhere. So here is how it went.

First I took the alu frame off the twingo ragtop. It unbolts with 32 nuts. I then re-assembled it and place it on the roof. Now this is where you need to careful as the form of the frame is not the same as the bus roof. So you need to make sure you put on correctly. What I did was to centralise it and press it to the roof form of the bus a little and then tap on to the roof. The reason for ding this is to make sure the screws in the vinyl dak still line up with the alu frame. Now you have done that get a marker and start mark the holes in the frame out. Make sure you dont mark them out because some of them are for blanko holes. Oh and always use a hoover. and safety Glasses.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020405u

Now you can mark out the cut line on the roof. You will notice from mine that i have used a shit load of tape and paper to protect the roof. Thats because I have just had it the entire bus sprayed. So If you intend to fit a roof like this then make sure your paint work is very well protected.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020406n

After marking the holes with a marker you need to take of the alu frame and start drilling the holes. Do not use a drill bit the dame size as the screws in the vinyl dak but a couple of sizes bigger. I used a 8mm drill. That was big enough.
After drilling the holes, I used a long peice of wood to mark out the cut line on the sides, on the front and back i used a wood panel that you use in the home to decorate the walls with. This is because ti bends to the form of the roof really easy. Note the cut line is on ther inside of drill holes. This will allow you slide the dak into place later.

Now you can cut out the roof. Use a fine cutting saw with a jigsaw and cut the dak out.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020409e

Now thats done you need to get the vinyl dak and place it on the roof and see if your handy work worked for you. Sometimes you may need to drill a little hole a bit bigger here and there but it should just drop into place at the front of the dak if you have lined everything up correctly.

You will need to make a decision now. Do you ant to adjust the hight of your support bar over the middle of the bus or but your twingo dak to make sure it fits. I chose to adjust the make adjustments to my main support bar by cutting out the 1.5cm you need to lower it to allow the schuif dak to sit properly.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020411x

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020412w

Of course this means you have to rebuild the support bar over the middle of the bus. I did it this way because I have a welder to reshape the support bar. If you do not have this and want to save a bit of time the just cut the frame of the dak where it goes over the steun balk. It will do the same job.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020413v

Now you can place your Dak into the hole you have so careful made. Take your alu frame and go to the into the insode of the bus and screw it to the bolts of the vinyl Dak. At this point is a good idea to put some sealing glue around the out side of the frame before you tighten it down. Just to make sure it 100% water tight.

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020415f

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020416w

Then Just tighten everything down. Not too tight otherwise the bolts will break off. I got to 12nm and then crack I lost one. So lesson learnt on that one.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020414e

Then you are done..... just take your time and it will go well.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020421u

This is me finished.
Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020422n

One more tip. When you cut out your original roof make sure you do it in one go keeping the cut even and as nice as you can. Then if it all goes to rats shit in the middle of the build you can always weld it back into place.

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020417b

Oh ans one last thing before I go. Remember right at the start I said make sure you protect your bus and yourself? Well i did not say that for nothing. Take your time do it on a nice sunny day and enjoy yourself.

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020430f

T2 M&M's
T2 M&M's

Aantal berichten : 101
Registratiedatum : 20-06-11
Leeftijd : 58

Terug naar boven Ga naar beneden

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 Empty Re: Twingo ragtop in a VW T2

Bericht  bugsnbusses ma 11 jul 2011 - 19:52

patje from our club did just the same thing! and i am thinking of putting one in my t2 and in my golf mk2! nice pics cool job!
bugsnbusses
bugsnbusses

Aantal berichten : 447
Registratiedatum : 20-01-09
Leeftijd : 56

Bericht  bruinekever ma 11 jul 2011 - 21:25

Realy nice job
bruinekever
bruinekever

Aantal berichten : 588
Leeftijd : 45

http://www.oranjevwkever.blogspot.com/

Bericht  MrCola di 12 jul 2011 - 0:07

nice work and also a good how-to
MrCola
MrCola

Aantal berichten : 564
Registratiedatum : 28-01-09
Leeftijd : 36

Bericht  Bjorn di 12 jul 2011 - 0:33

Twingo ragtop in a VW T2 P1020430f

The art painting on your wall is not hanging straight lol!

By the way good work..!

Bjorn
Bjorn

Aantal berichten : 1765
Leeftijd : 44

Http://kcm.skynetblogs.be

Bericht  vw_s di 12 jul 2011 - 1:10

Awesome topic Sean!
Clear, neat pics and all comments in your own words Laughing !!

BTW is that Renault in your eye or is it Volkswagen?
vw_s
vw_s

Aantal berichten : 15
Leeftijd : 44

http://www.route-53.com

Bericht  Gesponsorde inhoud

Gesponsorde inhoud

Terug naar boven